Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Online Facilitator
      Bobbi wrote:If you should have an adverse reaction to the PTU, there are two other options for you to consider to get this disease under control. They both involve removing enough of your thyroid that you are no longer hyperthyroid. One method involves surgery to remove the thyroid, and the other involves removing the thyroid with a dose of radioactive iodine.
      Bobbi — Online Facilitator

Hi Hopeful – One additional option if you do react to PTU is to try a different Anti-Thyroid Drug, called Methimazole. (Although PTU is better if you think you might become pregnant while on the drug). Some people who react to one drug will do OK with the other.

All three options for treatment (surgery, RAI, ATDs) have risks, so your best option is to do your own research and make an informed choice.

jclark3

Hi Hopeful23,

I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Just to echo what Bobbi and Ski are saying, you really need to be consistent with your medication, especially in the first couple of months. PTU (and also Methimazole) don’t just work overnight. You need to consistently take the drug to reduce the levels of thyroid hormones in your circulation and to reach a stable level.

It seems to me that consistency and stability is key with Graves’. I had RAI for my thyroid last month and I’m still all over the place emotionally even though my levels of thyroid hormone are almost within normal range (hooray!). Your body will react to changes and every time you take your meds and then don’t take your meds you’re subjecting your body to constant change.

I also wanted to make a second point (and I’m sure you know this as a Nursing major) which is even though you have been diagnosed with GD, it may not exist in isolation. Just because you have Graves’ it doesn’t mean that you might not also have other things to address. It sounds as though you have had some awful experiences that have led to significant obstacles associated with taking medication. Could you try talk therapy to work through that? I started therapy just before I found out that I had Graves’ (before diagnosis I really thought I was borderline psychotic) and it has really helped me throughout, even when I was fully medicated and balanced on a hormonal level. Just finding out that you have a chronic condition can affect your mental well-being.

Anyway, I hope that I’m not being too intrusive. I just wanted to let you know that therapy has helped me for the most part (although there will always be bad days) and although it’s not going to help your GD directly it may help you with the horrible experiences that you’ve had with medication in the past.

I hope that you can find some balance and start to feel better soon.

Jo

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.