Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Hello and welcome – I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m guessing you are outside the USA, since we use a slightly different med here that is similar to carbimazole. I don’t know if your doctor would be open to looking at guidelines from the USA, but the following guidelines from the American Thyroid Association might be of interest:

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/thy.2016.0457

For women with Graves’ who desire a future pregnancy, there are advantages and disadvantages to ALL three treatment options (antithyroid meds, RAI, and surgery). You deserve a doctor who will discuss with you the risks and benefits of each and help you make the right decision for you.

We’ve had contact with many women who had successful pregnancies while dealing with Graves’. Whether you are taking antithyroid medications – or whether you are taking replacement hormone after RAI or surgery – it is critical to stay in close touch with your endocrinologist and gynocologist to make sure that your levels remain stable both for your safety *and* the baby’s safety.

It *is* true that some women who are taking antithyroid medications during pregnancy find that they are able to keep stable levels on a reduced dose (or even no medications). Perhaps that is what your doctor was referring to?

Wishing you all the best!