emmtee

I was diagnosed about seven years ago and was on methimazole for four years. It took me about a year to find the right dose, but after that I did quite well on it, other than the fact that my TSH remained suppressed even when my T4 and T3 were normal. I was considered euthyroid. My biggest complaint was that I had fatigue that never went away.

After four years, we discovered that I’d developed a rather large nodule and I required a thyroidectomy. I was fortunate to have an excellent surgeon and the procedure went well with no complications (and most importantly, no cancer!) Afterward, it took some doing to find my dose of levothyroxine. In the beginning, I was hyper in all the tests, but we lowered my dose and then it was just my TSH that was suppressed again. This time, my endo said that, without my thyroid, I was considered hyper. We kept lowering my dose, and it was 2 1/2 years before I finally got a normal TSH. During this entire journey, I continued having the same fatigue that I’d had on the methimazole.

I have other health issues as well, including chronic migraines, and about this time last year I realized that I couldn’t remember the last time I’d felt good. I wasn’t looking forward to the holidays (dreading them, actually). My mom was planning on taking me on a trip to Europe with her this year and I didn’t even want to go. So I talked to my endo and she had me make an appointment with my GP. He prescribed lexapro for me because I had used it successfully in the past.

When I first started taking it, there were a few days when I was so tired I could barely get out of bed, but after that I worked great. I feel so much better now. I’ve had some challenges this year, and I don’t know how I would have gotten through them without the help of my lexapro. I just got home from my vacation a month ago and had an amazing time. :-)