Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Thanks for sharing these stories!

Our other two facilitators also consider themselves “success stories” with RAI — even though Ski ended up needing a second dose.

I wish there was some concrete research on this, but my personal experience is that for the most part, the people who do solid research ahead of time and are active participants in their care end up being satisfied, regardless of which treatment option they choose.

If a problem occurs later, they know that they selected that treatment option with full knowledge of the risks.

If a patient is not given the option of all three options — or if the risks are not fully discussed up front — those patients seem to be the most likely to be unhappy with treatment and to lose confidence in their medical providers.

I think the guidance that was released by the American Thyroid Association and American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has gone a long way towards helping patients and doctors make the best choices possible for their particular situation. (For those who haven’t seen it, it’s the second link in the “Treatment Options” thread in the announcements section). I especially like the section that goes into the patient *values* that might make a particular option more or less attractive.

Hopefully, the next generation of Graves’ patients will be better educated and have better outcomes. (And hopefully, those in this group who go on to become “success stories” will check back in every now and then. :))