adenure

Hi Shirley,

I agree with you that it IS okay to feel discouraged and down over being sick or certain circumstances; I think it’s normal. I’ve recognized though that when I let those feelings take over (even temporarily), they can lead to despair and feeling much worse- physically and mentally. It’s not easy to pull myself out of that sometimes, but my faith, my husband, and a funny show/ movie, a distraction of some sort can help a lot. Playing with my children helps a lot until I start to feel cruddy, and then I get discouraged about not being able to just go on and on playing with them like I used to. But, the time that I am able to get out of my own head/ worries about Graves, I do feel better, even if it’s only bc I’m distracted. It’s momentary, but it helps.

Until I’m “normal”, it’ll be in the back of my head no doubt, but I have to try to stay positive. I read a quote that said something like “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in in the rain.” I’ve really tried to hold onto that one. Because I think, any one of us could suffer a terrible accident/ tragedy or even death at any time. All we have is now, and for my own sake and the sake of my family, I have to make “now” be as good as it can be. I’m guilty of letting Graves take over a lot of my time and mental energy since I was diagnosed, but I’m trying to not let it get to me too much. Of course, when I was hyper, that was near impossible, but now that I’m on somewhat of a path to being better, I have to try to live again.

One thing I DO think is important is that when someone is suffering a lot and dealing with difficult illnesses or problems, telling them not to feel down or discouraged is wrong. I had a family member (with the motive of trying to help me) do exactly that, and it really upset me. I felt even more guilty than I already did about feeling down and it just made me really sad. Yes, we should try our best to stay positive and find the good moments, search out funny moments that make us smile– even if it is just a distraction like a funny movie. Going through the normal spectrum of feelings is important though.

Alexis