Anonymous

Welcome, KB! As I read your post, I’m remembering my own feelings after my diagnosis in 1990. I felt relieved to be able to put a label on this “thing” causing my eyes to go haywire. Maybe I was too quick to believe everything my doctors told me, but I took the RAI treatment the same day my thyroid uptake read “way too high!” Yes, I believed and trusted completely in my doctors. (Mayo Clinic) No, I never considered a second opinion. I was looking for immediate help and immediate relief.

For me, the RAI treatment was the best thing I could’ve done. Taking the treatment was easy – I just drank some clear, tasteless liquid. I had no side effects, and when I went hypo I continued my normal routines and continued to feel fine. Since then I take a daily dose of Synthroid, and haven’t had a problem with my thyroid except for minor adjustments in my medication.

My biggest problem was and still is my eyes. Another story, another time.

As for pregnancy, I was told to wait with having a child until one year after the RAI. Once my thyroid levels were under control, my endo gave me the go-ahead. My husband and I still don’t have children, but I suspect it has nothing to do with my Graves’.

My advice – pay close attention to what your body tells you. Write down your feelings and symptoms to help you and your doctor better understand your individual condition. We GD sufferers all have different, yet similar stories to tell. And check out the National Graves’ Disease Home Page; the URL is on the top of this BB.

Best of luck! Debby