Anonymous

Hi, Kim:

I don’t think our doctors would call what you are experiencing “remission,” based on the definition of remission as I understand it.

Nevertheless, what you should expect, once you and your doctor get you on a correct dose of replacement hormone, is that you will regain your health. Thyroid issues, properly managed now, should not make you ill again.

It is always possible, since the antibodies are still present, for them to be able to cause minor irritations. I went, briefly, hyperthyroid a few years ago. Since I know the symptoms of hyper, I caught it quickly, and the “fix” was easy: a temporary drop in the amount of replacement hormone I take. It was a nuisance, but it did not make me ill for long enough to create problems. I have also gone more hypo, over time, requiring an increase in replacement dose. The natural progression of autoimmune diseases is to destroy the organ affected, so for us, going hypo can be part of the natural progression of Graves. So, you might need a bigger dose of replacement over time.

Therefore, it is necessary to make sure that your thyroid levels are checked periodically. Forever. Typically that becomes once a year.

But the key issue is health. And once you are controlled on the proper dose of replacement hormone, you can expect to regain your health.

I hope this helps.

Bobbi — NGDF Online Facilitator