Anonymous

It is a common assumption in patients that “all” thyroid cells get destroyed when we have ablative RAI. Actually the reality is that most likely some thyroid cells will be left behind, actively producing hormone. The presence of these cells will produce fluctuations in our hormone levels. What we hope for is that these fluctuations do not put out outside the bounds of “normal” levels of thyroid hormone. Provided that we can be maintained within normal levels, our health will not be adversely affected.

I have been on replacement hormone since a few months after my RAI. So there have been lots of labs in those years. My levels have fluctuated. And in those years, I have noticed that there is little correlation, within normal zones, of how I “feel” with what my levels are. I have felt hyper, and gone in for a blood test and turned up with a TSH of 2. I have felt distinctly “hypo” and gone in for a blood test, and had a TSH of 2. And, yes, I have felt normal, had a routine blood test for a physical, and turned up with a TSH of 2.

Now, if I had gone only had a certain level when I was feeling “off”, I know that I would insist that it was due to the TSH level. But I know, from my own tests, that the TSH level when it is well within the normal range, is not likely to be the cause of my feeling “off.”

Bobbi — Online Facilitator