Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

There is a strong association between both Hyper as well as Hypo states and diabetes, and maybe more simply with glucose metabolism dysfunction, so this may be relevant to everyone here to consider now and in the future.
      It may be worthwhile to consider a low GI type diet behaviour to minimise any diabetic risks.
      I have copied down the section relating to hyper thyroid, but there is also discussion of the Hypo relationship and thyroid disease in general:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jtr/2011/439463/

Quote:
      Review Article

Thyroid Disorders and Diabetes Mellitus

3. Effects of Thyroid Hormones on Glucose Homeostasis

Thyroid hormones affect glucose metabolism via several mechanisms. Hyperthyroidism has long been recognized to promote hyperglycemia [27]. During hyperthyroidism, the half-life of insulin is reduced most likely secondary to an increased rate of degradation and an enhanced release of biologically inactive insulin precursors [28, 29].
      In untreated Graves’ disease, increased proinsulin levels in response to a meal were observed in a study by Bech et al. [30]. In addition, untreated hyperthyroidism was associated with a reduced C-peptide to proinsulin ratio suggesting an underlying defect in proinsulin processing [31]. Another mechanism explaining the relationship between hyperthyroidism and hyperglycemia is the increase in glucose gut absorption mediated by the excess thyroid hormones [32, 33].
      Endogenous production of glucose is also enhanced in hyperthyroidism via several mechanisms. Thyroid hormones produce an increase in the hepatocyte plasma membrane concentrations of GLUT2 which is the main glucose transporter in the liver, and consequently, the increased levels of GLUT-2 contribute to the increased hepatic glucose output and abnormal glucose metabolism [34, 35]. Additionally, increased lipolysis is observed in hyperthyroidism resulting in an increase in FFA that stimulates hepatic gluconeogenesis. The increased release of FFA could partially be explained by an enhanced catecholamine-stimulated lipolysis induced by the excess thyroid hormones [36]. Moreover, the nonoxidative glucose disposal in hyperthyroidism is enhanced resulting in an overproduction of lactate that enters the Cori cycle and promotes further hepatic gluconeogenesis. The increase in GH, glucagon and catecholamine levels associated with hyperthyroidism further contributes to the impaired glucose tolerance [37–39].
      It is well known that diabetic patients with hyperthyroidism experience worsening of their glycemic control and thyrotoxicosis has been shown to precipitate diabetic ketoacidosis in subjects with diabetes [40, 41].

Raspberry

Thanks Harpy this is interesting! I remember when I was the most hyper I felt like I had to eat constantly, almost every hour or I would feel like passing out. Back many years ago when I believe my thyroid problems started being slightly hypo, I often had problems with keeping stable blood sugar as well and had to eat high protein meals frequently to feel okay.

Ellen_B

Thank you, Harpy, for sharing this article. I have always wanted to know more details on the subject. The article confirms what I have heard that patients that are both diabetic and either hyperthyroid or hypothyroid have a much greater difficulty controlling their diabetes. Many diabetics mentioned that once their thyroid hormone levels were properly regulated the treatment of their diabetes improved.

Ellen

beach45

Thank you for sharing that article Harpy!

My endocrinologist told me post RAI there is a greater chance of developing diabetes. He did not say whether if levels are controlled perfectly with thyroid hormone if that would still be the case. Yet I agree that would make a difference!

This too is a very involved subject especially since thryoid hormones have a role in insulin resistance. For me I was told to try to keep FT4 and FT3 levels at least at mid range as diabetes does run in my family. Definitely diet has a big role too in keeping things under control as you say.

Beach

Harpy
              Ellen_B wrote:
              Thank you, Harpy, for sharing this article. I have always wanted to know more details on the subject. The article confirms what I have heard that patients that are both diabetic and either hyperthyroid or hypothyroid have a much greater difficulty controlling their diabetes. Many diabetics mentioned that once their thyroid hormone levels were properly regulated the treatment of their diabetes improved.

Ellen

I think it may also work the other way to, by managing glucose better may well also help with managing thyroid.

beach45 wrote:
              Thank you for sharing that article Harpy!

My endocrinologist told me post RAI there is a greater chance of developing diabetes. He did not say whether if levels are controlled perfectly with thyroid hormone if that would still be the case. Yet I agree that would make a difference!

This too is a very involved subject especially since thryoid hormones have a role in insulin resistance. For me I was told to try to keep FT4 and FT3 levels at least at mid range as diabetes does run in my family. Definitely diet has a big role too in keeping things under control as you say.

Beach

As far as ranges go, you have to tune for your own body as you go, many seem to find their “sweet” spot slightly above mid range, but I think it is important to also track your symptoms and subtle changes, that “sweet” spot may shift over time as other parts of your body heal, ie Insulin & Leptin functionality, weight loss etc.

beach45

Harpy, very true; there are many who feel better like you said slightly above mid range. I am still trying to find the right area for my FT3 as I know if my FT4 is around mid range I am okay; seems FT3 for me may need to be higher. I never paid attention to FT3 prior to Graves diagnosis in 2010 as no doctor seemed to care to test it and I had no clue about it’s significance back then. That’s right the sweet spot could change over time with changes in our body and possibly with aging too. So many factors involved!

beach

Momof5

I also read an article about Selenium increasing the risk of diabetes too. I don’t remember where, but now I have to find it.

Ellen_B

Momof5 and all,
                    I would like to have more information on selenium too.
                    Another statement I would like more information on is– anyone who has one autoimmune disease also has an increased risk of developing another autoimmune disease. I have heard some say it is a small risk. I would like to know how big or small is that risk. Of course you would have to look at one autoimmune disease at time to find out any meaningful information.
                    Ellen

Momof5

It took me a long time to find it. I don’t remember how I stumbled on it..through a link of a link of a link or something..

Selenium and the thyroid gland

Gabe

Thanks all for the continuing education. Another thing to keep in mind on this journey. Added to the discussion list for my doctors!
                        Karen

Stymie

Does it seem odd that selenium is thought to be good for us thyroid patients and now there’s a link between thyroid patients and diabetes?

Ellen_B

Carrie,
                            Thank you for taking the time to find the article on selenium. I have saved it in a folder. It is very current too. Interesting that it decreases the percentage of postpartum thyroiditis and definitive hypothyroidism. Interesting to see IN PRINT the risk of diabetes after long term use.
                            The article definitely provides food for thought!
                            Thank you again!
                            Ellen

Momof5

It was enough for me to NOT take any selenium supplements. I had bought an iodine free vitamin, and it had 200 mcg of selenium in it. I switched my vitamins AGAIN because of that. There is no diabetes in my family history that I know of, but I don’t want the increased risk, no matter how small. I understand it may do wonderful things for people with the eye disease.

It would be interesting to know if that “increased risk” group had a history of diabetes or not. Diabetes in on the rise, so it’s hard to say what influenced it. Is it bad eating habits, history, poor health??? Who knows.

snelsen

Here is a reference from Medline/NIH
                                If you choose to read it, read the entire thing. It begins by listing all the things selenium is THOUGHT to be used for.
                                If you read further, you will read that an excess of selenium MAY contribute to diabetes.
                                And especially-read the safety concerns.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1003.html

Stymie has a good point in her post.

THe small study that was done with selenium and thyroid was done in a part of the world on a small part of the population where selenium was known to be deficient in soil and diet. Kimberly has referenced it previously, but I don’t have time to find it again.

I took a quick look at the link Momof5 mentioned in her post. I thought it was a pretty vague abstract of some kind of work by a couple docs in Limoges, France. I could not access the whole thing.
                                I am learning more and more that PubMed publishes darn near anything, and it is a link from NIH. I am learning to search for evidence based, long term longitudinal studies, with a large population and a large sample size.
                                Always something to learn! And learn again!
                                Shirley

Stymie
                                  Raspberry wrote:
                                  Thanks Harpy this is interesting! I remember when I was the most hyper I felt like I had to eat constantly, almost every hour or I would feel like passing out. Back many years ago when I believe my thyroid problems started being slightly hypo, I often had problems with keeping stable blood sugar as well and had to eat high protein meals frequently to feel okay.

Hi raspberry!

Just wondering if your blood sugar problems cleared up when your levels evened out?

Diane

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.