Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

After a week of not hearing from my endocrinologist (took 3 phone calls for her to call back!) I finally spoke with her and got some lingering questions answered last night. I told her I was feeling hyper and anxious and was having palpitations, so I got my labs drawn today and will get the results Monday. I think she thinks my anxiety is more psych anxiety than Graves’ anxiety, but the labs will tell which. I’m not normally this anxious. I had one other bout of anxiety in January, and this is the first since then. And if she had not waited a week to call me back, my anxiety would not have been so bad–sheesh!

Anyway, since I was going in to get my labs drawn, I stopped by the surgeon’s office and spoke with her nurse about some of my worries. I was very reassured after speaking with her. I think a lot of my worry was just not having anybody to bounce stuff off of. This forum is great, but a back and forth conversation in real time is the best sometimes! ;)

I was already booked for surgery on April 30th, but confirmed it and have scheduled the pre-op thyroid ultrasound the surgeon wants to compare to one I had in 2009. I have scheduled myself to be off for 2 weeks starting the 29th. I may be able to go back to work sooner, but it will depend on my voice. Since I answer the phones at work, I have to be able to have an understandable voice. Hopefully it won’t be much of an issue.

I am truly looking forward to getting this over and done with and moving on with my life. I tolerated levothyroxine back before I was diagnosed with Graves’ and had hypo symptoms, so not anticipating any issues with it post-op, aside from any tweaks needed to reach my sweet spot.

I see the endo a week before surgery, and will discuss the issue with her not calling back. I’ve only seen her the one time last month, but although I did not like my previous endo, either he or his nurse called me back within 24 hours. I would hate to think I have to find another endo already, but I’ll give this new one the benefit of the doubt for now.

I’ll post my surgery experience on the forum. I hope to help others out with it as others have helped me.

Amy

vanillasky

Amy: Good luck to you. I hope everything goes well and you get your health and strength back quickly. Many wishes for a speedy recovery.

And please take us on your “journey.” I know it will help everyone on here!

Karen

snelsen

Hi Amy, I think you will feel much less anxiety and stress now that your decision is firm. There are some GREAT posts about what to expect before, during and after thyroidectomy.
          Good job.
          Shirley

Kimberly
          Online Facilitator

Hi Amy,

I know this has been a long, challenging road, so it must be a huge relief to have this decision made!

Sorry to hear about your endo *increasing* your anxiety – but you will be moving on to the next phase of your journey very soon!

Take care – and keep us posted!

Momof5

Good luck, Amy. I will be following your journey.

adenure

Yay! Congratulations to you! Making a decision is a big deal and you will be on the path to being well soon! :) That’s great!

Gabe

Congrats Amy! Decisions are hard to firm up with Grave’s. I will be following your progress since I’m hopefully just a few months behind you with my surgery.

Best wishes,

Karen

smtucker

Amy,

My best hope is that your surgery is as straight forward as mine. It isn’t an easy decision, but once it is made, somehow the pieces seem to fall into place.

*susan*

amosmcd

Thank you for the support, everyone! I woke up today feeling better than I have recently, now that the decision has been made. I’ll be glad when it’s over and done with, that’s for sure! I’m not afraid of the surgery itself. I’ve had back surgery and sinus surgery–and a C-section 25 years ago–and only the sinus surgery was a hard recovery. Aside from being pretty painful, I had to walk around in public with a swollen black eye and thinking people probably thought I’d been beaten. Maybe after the thyroidectomy they will think I tried to slit my own throat-lol!!

At least I work in the medical field, so will not have to give a lot of explanation to co-workers. Most of them know I’d been considering it. My surgeon also does plastic surgery, so I’m expecting (and so is she) a nice looking incision, with little to no scar eventually. By 3 months its expected to have faded significantly. I wish she could tighten the skin around my neck while she’s in there! :D

Thanks for your support. I’m so glad you are all a part of this with me.

Amy

AzGravesGuy

I am late to this party but CONGRATULATIONS! I hope your surgery is a breeze and with a plastic surgeon closing you up, that scar will be a non issue.

Please keep us posted on your prep and recovery! Very excited for you!

adenure

Amy,

Too funny! My only 3 surgeries were a C-section, sinus surgery, and a TT.

amosmcd

Thanks, Rob!

I’m keeping positive thoughts about the whole thing. I appreciate your support! :)

Amy

amosmcd

Hi, Alexis–

It’s a small surgical world, isn’t it? ;)

Just wish it was this Tuesday and not the 20th. But it’ll come soon enough. This gives me time to plan out my time off. One of my sons can shop and cook for me, since he lives at home still, and my brother will take me to and from the hospital and also check up on me.

Any recommendations for what to eat/drink once I get home?

Amy

adenure

I had water, juice, soup, relatively mushy stuff for 2 days. After that, I ate everything. :P I only needed Advil for pain, so it wasn’t that bad. Definitely take the first sips carefully- coordinate it. I almost choked on my 1st drink at the hospital! You have to go slowly bc your swallowing won’t be normal for a day or 2. Nothing terrible, just the body healing. I drank lots of water to flush the anesthesia out.

Sleep upright for 3 nights to help with drainage; then I slept with my head slightly elevated (2 pillows) after that for awhile. I took Tums (calcium carbonate) 1000 mg 4 times a day the 1st week, 3 times a day the 2nd week, and twice a day the 3rd week while my parathyroids healed (inflamed- not damaged). It’s a good precaution. Tums won’t hurt you and it can help you avoid having your calcium levels get too low. I was able to shower after 24 hours, but I waited 48 to be cautious.

I started Synthroid (brand) on day 2 after surgery and had labs 6 weeks later. Upped from 100 mcg (starting dose) to 112 mcg. I’ve been at that dose since. It took 2 months on the right dose though to feel better even though my numbers were good 2 weeks into the dose.

amosmcd

Thanks for the info, Alexis! I’ve got a recliner I can sleep in. I slept in it after my sinus surgery, too. Can’t sleep on 2 pillows because of a bad neck, so will just stay in the recliner til I can sleep flat. It sounds like they will send me home on Calcitriol and calcium. I’ll start the Calcitriol with a dose a week before surgery.

I’ll be careful with swallowing. Sounds like slow is the speed for everything post-op, which is good! Thanks again! :)

Amy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.