Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Quick question for anyone.

With a TT does it impact whether you are prone to TED or not? Wondering if the antibodies don’t have the thyroid to attack, is it known to go attack the eyes instead?

Or is it just random? Some people will get it whether or not they choose RAI or TT?

Diane

Momof5

I wonder this myself. What do the antibodies do when there is no thyroid to attack? I read on a link Kimberly posted (I think) thatit can take a year for antibodies to diminish after meds or TT, but less likely in RAI

I am near Chicago too (saw your New Lennox, IL). Hope you found some good drs.

Stymie

Hi mom!,

Have you found a good endo yet?

Di

Kimberly
          Online Facilitator

Hello – To my knowledge, there is *not* an increased risk of eye involvement post-TT. In the studies I’ve seen, the risk is fairly consistent between TT and ATDs and higher for RAI.

I’ve read anecdotal evidence from a couple of posters on this forum indicating that they noticed a small improvement following surgery. I have not seen any specific studies to back this up, though…this would definitely be a good area for further research!

adenure

Hi :)

I wondered that too. I had my TT 8 months ago and the only thing I’d say is that I have dry eyes (but not bad, I use the over the counter fake tear drops like Systane). I didn’t have eye issues before surgery and (apart from dry eyes) haven’t had anything else. It’s always in the back of my mind I guess, but it seems like I’m doing okay.

Momof5

Hi Di!

I *think* I have a good endo, but I have only met with her once so far. We are meeting with her again tomorrow to go over treatment options. We have made a list of all our questions now that the shock has worn off a bit. I was adamant about no RAI the first time, and she didn’t mention TT, so we started pills. Now that we know stats and stuff, we want to understand the risks more.

How about you?

Carrie
                Mom to the Fab Five

Stymie

Hi Carrie!!

I am on my second endo, and while I think she is pretty good, I have my doubts. (Probably just paranoid at this point) I don’t go back to see her until the end of this month so we will see.

Please let me know how your dr appt goes today. I was reading one of your other posts and I too had just recently starting doing for myself. Exercising and generally trying to be healthier when this disease really hit me.

Good luck today!

Diane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.