Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello: Has anyone had experience with receiving a steroid shot into the eye muscle? I have GD and had RAI two years and recently developed double vision. My neuro-opthomologist said it’s due to shortening and thickening of the muscles behind my eyes and treated me with the steroid shot. Since then, I have horrible headaches and pain behind both eyes, which he feels is not connected to the shot.

Thanks for any information.

hollygsmith

I received a steroid injection into my lower eyelid during the active phase of TED. It did actually worsen the pain and pressure, but only for a few days. It also caused pockets of fluid to form on the surface of my eye for about a week. I did not experience any improvement in swelling, pain or pressure from the injection. Sorry you are experiencing headaches and pain behind your eyes. I know TED is no fun.

sskellen

Thanks very much. It’s good to know others understand what it’s like.

I’m going to a new neuro-opthamologist soon; the one who gave me the injection was very dismissive about the pain, so am hoping the new one is more helpful.

snelsen

Hi, I am not sure how helpful this is, but I want to throw it out, hoping you see this before you see your new neuro-op doc. I had severe TED. Lots of double vision. BUt the treatment for that is usually strabismus surgery, for the very reason you mentioned about the muscles of the eye. And yes, the muscles are shortened and thickened, as you said. From my experience, and from what I know about steroids, any steroids for swelling and inflammation in TED is a temporary fix, hoping to reduce the discomfort, and perhaps improve the vision for a little while. But it is a stopgap measure, not a permanent treatment.

I’d like to tell you that strabismus surgery was the VERY BEST THING that happened in my whole miserable, hellish TED experience. Please mention this to the neuro op tomorrow, including the purpose of steroids.
            I did have them, but they were oral and IV, to reduce pressure on my optic nerve, until I could have an orbital decompression to relieve the pressure on my optic nerve, thus preserve my vision. My own neuro op doc does not believe in direct steroid injections in the eye for TED. But I am sure if 20 doctors are asked their opinion, the answers would be diverse, and not in agreement.
            Shirley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.