Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

So after 7 years of living with Graves, I have finally decided to have a thyroidectomy. My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. I’m excited to finally feel “normal” again but at the same time, I’m very nervous and panicking a little. I’m not really worried about the surgery, more worried about post-op. I know some of you guys have gone through a thyroidectomy, how were you feeling afterwards? Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

snelsen

Hi, lilstorm,
        I am getting on a plane in a few minutes so not much time.
        Briefly, minimal pain to none, but sore neck (primarily from the position on the table) able to eat,but stayed away from steak and lots of chewing stuff till neck less sore. The K Iodide drops taste awful that we take pre-op I found orange juice and grape juice helpful in cutting the taste of metal. Weird.
        No nausea at all, the surgery is short, and i think that is very uncommon.

I suggest at least two weeks off if you work, that is the minimum. For sure have help for one week, some help the 2nd week is a good idea. If you have kids, I suggest having help with them. You re more tired that you think you are, and energy to get up and go, is declined for at least 3-4 weeks. But you can do anything you like by week three.
        Loved my surgery, would do it again.
        Use the search engine for:
        adenure (she recently had one and documented it very nicely)
        also, lch11 (or lhc11, I can never remember which it is) Another nice documentation and helpful hints for you.
        Shirley

dgregory

I had a thyroidectomy in March, 2011. I did wonderfully. Was in and out of the surgery center same day (about 4 hours). I had no pain at all. I didn’t even need tylenol. My voice was a little weak but it was fine after a few days. I still have problems singing higher notes. I went shopping the next day after surgery, slow pace of course, and was back at work 3 days after surgery. I am a business owner so came and went as tolerated. I avoided heavy lifting and bending and nothing really physical for awhile. My scar is hardly seen and overall I did well. It takes a while to get back to normal. I don’t think I am back to normal yet but my life is good. I think my best advise is to find out what you can tolerate and give yourself time to heal and adjust to the new you. Don’t put pressure on yourself to be more than you can tolerate. I wake up with energy every morning, hit a wall about 2:30pm, rest then good all evening. I sleep well at night now. That’s a blessing! Best wishes to you and I am saying a prayer for your speedy recovery and good health from here on. ~dgregory~

PolishTym

I can’t disagree with those comments. Their experiences were similar to mine. The thing that surprised me–and maybe others didn’t have it–was chills. I was very cold for weeks. I was wearing sweats and had heavy blankets on at night…in June!

I chugged the yucky tasting iodine stuff with apple juice. I drank it fast to avoid the taste.

lilstorm92

Thanks! It makes me feel better knowing other people are going through the same situation…this awful disease. I started taking the S drops this am and didn’t taste that bad with the grape juice. (Thanks for the suggestion) I go to the dr tomorrow to get my vocal cords checked out. Hope you all have a great day!!

Carito71

Welcome to the forum.

I was just diagnosed in June so I’m taking Methimazole at the moment. Therefore, I don’t have much to add but I do wish you the very best wit your surgery. Please keep us posted as to how all turns out.

Caro :)

PolishTym

I had to get my drops after the Japanese nuclear accidents caused by the earthquakes and tsunami, so my fellow Americans were buying up the drops to supposedly protect themselves from the released energy.

I was worried I wasn’t going to be able to buy them. I got lucky. My pharmacy had a part-time pharmacist who also worked about 75 minutes away and happened to see one, so she hooked me up. I guess these things work out one way or the other.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.