Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MY wife had TED decompression surgery 5 weeks ago on one eye and 4 weeks ago on the other.The swelling from the surgery has gone away but she now has fluid buildup around the eyes and uses eye drops all day long. She is very depressed and does not know when TED will even end. We were under the impression that after decompression surgery all would be fine but the swelling around the eyes is still there but now it is fluid buildup.After the second decompression surgery she has double vision and is dealing with that also. How long will TED go on for? And what can I do to help besides just being there for her. I’m also very lucky to have two kids that has been very helpful.I guess what I really looking for is for someone who went through this to explain what will happens after decompression surgery and for how long and any helpful hints. THANKS

Anonymous

Hello and welcome,

TED is a strange beast. It can come only once or visit us many times over our life. Decompression lets the fatty tissue and eye muscles into the sinus cavity to let the eyes go back into our heads.

The eyelid swelling is a different part of TED. She needs to go talk to her eye doctor about he swelling. A few things can help. Raising the head of the bed about three inches, cool compresses to help with the swelling and to give the eyes some relief and a visit with her eye doctor to see what else can be done.

To answer your question on TED? We can have multiple flair ups through our lives. Each time we have a hot phase we need to deal with what damage it is doing during that phase. I am sure it was not the answer you wanted to hear.

I have had at least four hot phases and needed corrective surgery after each bout of inflammation.

We are only a click away.

Jake
        On-line Facilitator

Anonymous

I couldn’t help but reply and share my own experience. My decompression surgery was in December 2002, both eyes at same time. I felt the same way you did that after the surgery all would be fine. And, granted, things were much better but not completely where I wanted to be, or thought I would be. But, I have never regretted having the surgery……just look at the “before” pictures I bet your doctor took and you’ll be so glad to have that behind you! I have had several small procedures in the office to remove extra skin where it had stretched when eyes were bulged. Also, have had, and will have again, a chemical peel to tighten the skin – My friends are all jealous that my cosmetic surgery is covered by insurance and their’s isn’t! So, to get to where you want to be, takes time…….but it’s all uphill! Try to be patient as my doctor allows lots of healing time between procedures…….but keep at it. Good luck to you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.