Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

You said something interesting when you said that you feel like you need a shrink right now. Maybe you should go see someone, too. I can’t think of a whole lot worse than having this disease, except for dealing with your child having this disease! That’s a whole lot of pressure for you, too. There’s no shame in seeking out help for yourself when you need it. I’m sure that your daughter’s wacky teenage hormones are part of her problem (I’m not a doctor, but I am the mother of a daughter who I believe is getting ready to start her period and her little attitude is driving me crazy!) Good luck to both of you and remember that there are people here who are always willing to listen!

Tracy

Anonymous

A good social worker or psychologist might help you – really. Being a caregiver, plus the mother of an ill teenager – is plenty of stress. One has to take care of themselves in order to “be there” for the sick person. I have a therapist – been over a year since I saw her last – but, I have had a couple of losses in the past few months, and plan on seeing her as soon as she can fit me into her schedule. Sometimes we just need a safe place to cry. Joy in NoGA mtns.

Anonymous

Thanks to all who wrote. I made an appt. with her therapist today for next Monday. She is at track practice today so that exercise should help. She refuses to read any of the books that I’ve bought on the subject. I just bought another one last week and her response was “oh that looks like a fun read!” So it’s hard to tell with her sometimes whether it is Graves’ disease, teenage hormones, or OCD which she has but in a very mild way right now. At this point I feel like I need a shrink to vent to…my whole life revolves around her needs and trying to help her to get better.

Thanks for listening.

a tired mom

Anonymous

Jake (and others)-

I appreciate your patience with me. I have read the book and read the chapter. I’ll never forget when I read the chapter–prior to that I would have told you that I had no mental side-effects of Graves. Boy, was that denial. I think that I need to go back and reread that chapter again. I think that it will help to refresh.

It is a question of control; and it is so hard to maintain control when everything is flying around you at warp speed. As I have come down over the past couple of weeks, I can sense when the anger is coming and be a little bit more effective in stopping it. When I was so fast a few weeks after the procedure my anger came and went and I didn’t even know it was there until I realized that I was screaming about something. Then I would be so tired from the tirade that I couldn’t hardly get out of bed. It is scarey when we loose control. It is hard to gain it back; but in the long run that leads us back to the mental and emotional balance that we need to maintain to be healthy and whole.

At least I am past the state of denial; and past the severe hyperness that left me paralyzed. From here, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just have to stay focused and tough so that I can get myself there. I’m sure that there will be other tunnels along my journey, but with each one that I pass through I will hopefully gain more confidence going into the next one.

Thank you.
            Anne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.