Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi all. Its been a while and well, I’m back because I just dont understand what happened. Sunday, Father’s Day, I blew up at my brother-in-law and my niece (17 yr old). They were teasing me mercilessly (not sure if that is even a word) like they’ve always done and it was a sore topic and I blew up. I literally told them I didn’t give a hoot (in other words unfortunately) if I ever saw them again among other choice – unlikely words coming from me. Now everyone is blaming it on my Graves and wondering if my thyroid (or Graves) is acting up. Unfortunately I dont think it is as I was becoming hurt everytime my brother in law would tease me about how many times I’ve been married (which unfortunately I dont need reminding of) and I “lost it”. Now I’m the “black sheep” of the family and honestly, I dont want to be around anyone and they dont want to be around me. My boys didn’t see it because they were at their dad and my daughter…well, she just sat there but kind of understood where I’m coming from.

I guess what I’m getting at is I honestly (and naively) thought once I zapped my thyroid with large dose of RAI I wouldn’t have Graves. I thought that once my thyroid stopped functioning there couldn’t be a way to have Graves rear its ugly head. What the heck is going on PLEASE.

Thanks
      Kim

Anonymous

The one thing that I have found out about myself with the Graves, is that I am more honest about my feelings. No, that isn’t always a good thing because I wouldn’t have said things that would hurt someone, but now, it seems that I don’t care. I think it comes from them never really understanding (even if they say they do). I am still trying to relearn to stop and think, but I am now on a shorter fuse than before. I think that in some ways we all change a little going thru this.

If your family is anything like mine, after a while they will get over it.

Julie

Anonymous

I think it’s particularly telling that you say your daughter witnessed this event and agreed with you (even if she didn’t speak up). That should tell you it’s probably something you have every right to be sensitive about, and completely unrelated to any irrational loss of control. We really need to get over the thought that we must be “Stepford People” without ever showing emotion. It implies we can keep a lid on it even when justifiably baited, and that’s just not realistic.

I wish you well ~ hopefully you can make it back to a level of civility eventually. Don’t beat yourself up too much. And don’t consent to being treated that way again, your health is worth more than that. (By that I mean we can get sick from the stress of being frustrated, not necessarily that it had anything to do with Graves’.) Isn’t it funny that everyone wants to blame our emotional condition on something OTHER than their behavior???

~Ski
          NGDF Assistant Online Facilitator

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.