Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dear Cathy,

You’re already helping people, just by being here ~ your posts are so clear and insightful, I know plenty of people are getting the kind of support they need just from reading. And thanks for the kind words.

At our conference, we had a session on "alternative therapies," and one of the therapists noted that a book on alternative therapies actually had an entire chapter on Support Groups, since just getting together with people who understand what you’re going through can be so calming and helpful. The psychologist who spoke in a separate session also highlighted the importance of social support systems to help "keep us together" during the hard times. It is such a relief, isn’t it?

Sending virtual hugs…

cathycnm

Thanks, Ski – I feel like I can finally talk about the elephant in the living room here. I agree with what that psychologist said. Soical support is huge and something that I am challenged with – my job is isolated (though a good cause with some perks I like) and I am doing online school that has taken me away from some of my networks for a few months. I did hire one of my life coach colleagues for some extra support now. This group is wonderful. I hope to make it to one of your conferences – the next 2 falls are so busy with school. Do you ever have conferences other times of the year? I would love to go meet everyone in person and learn more about Graves, too. C

cathycnm

I just want to thank everyone again. I joined this board a couple weeks ago and have felt the first real wave of validation since first becoming symptomatic over a year ago. My daughter is great ( a nursing student and good listener) but in another state. My coworkers are, for the most part, too far away to even know me so support there has been less than hoped. My church has been helpful – but not this type of validation. As a nurse-practitioner, I may have fewer medical questions. But I have little family and so having a community I can turn to is wonderful. Hearing about others who can barely hold their head up at work or feel helpless over weight issues or having relationship issues – well that has been the last year of my life. One of my coworkers told me today that I looked so good (when I told her my right eye was really blurry the last couple weeks), they would never guess I was ill. So, the piles of work keep coming. I don’t look sick – do I just like being a victim???? Yes – I have been asked that.

One of my friends from church has Graves – was treated several years ago. She has been a gift, too. She warned me "when we don’t look ill, people just keep treating us the same. They have no idea what we are going through." I posted before about my supervisor’s anger over my health. That really hurt me – we want to believe out bosses care about us – I do, anyway. But I look OK . . . and my co-workers are nurses.

My sincere thanks to all of you for the grand support. I know that helping those with Graves is becoming a calling for me – once I am on my own feet, I hope to find a way to give back to NGDF for this support. Graves changes lives – and somehow everyone thinks it is more like the common cold that we go to a doctor and get pills to fix. I work on resilience every chance I get and I am not the type to get into a victim trap. This is a journey (with real symptoms) and I will be stronger for the experience. Finding this group has helped me see the positive side. Thanks! Cathy

cathycnm

OK – Now I feel a bit helpless. I just did my employee physical for the year and my score dropped a few points from last year. And that was down a few points from the previous. Mostly, my blood lipids and weight (up only 6 total pounds from last year, and some of that might be that I am drinking a ton of fluid in the AM due to my diuretic). Still – I am now at moderate risk on my lipids. I know all this is part of the plan and it will get back to normal once my thyroid is regulated. My diet is better than ever – not to say it has no room for improvement – but it is a lot better than when my scores were better. I get 10,000 steps a day in regularly. I did accidentally eat a little ceral a few hours before the test – but I would not think that would throw it off that much.

So, I have lost 10 pounds since December – when I blossomed up 15 in about a month with the sleep meds. My docs are pleased with where I am and say it protects bone to be up a few pounds. So, I am blowing off the weight loss stuff.

Things I want to work on are the lipids – but I realize that might be pointless until this is regulated. I also need to work on work stress – which I think is partially thyroid related, too (chicken or egg, which came first?)

How long does it take for lipids to get back to normal once thyroid is regulated? Any suggestions for helping that along? Thanks!

npatterson

Cathy,

The end of your post asked about lipids returning to normal after stabalization? As far as I know, the answer is "no one knows". Maybe a better question to ask is something along the lines of: Am I doing everything I can to bring them down? Exercise? Nutrition? Habits? Is now a time to consider medication? Are they high enough that you are concerned about your heart? The other things to ask yourself include: What do I not have any control over? My gender? My age? My genes?

It seems to me that when you have as many checks as possible in the Control list, and understand the checks in the No Control list, that it is time to have a dialogue with your physician. For me, it was about five years ago, and I have done very well on a low dose of a generic statin medication. That part is between you and your doctor.

cathycnm

Nancy – Thanks! I have probably eaten better then last 6-8 months than ever and I do get a lot of exercise – 10,000 steps most days and at least 5,000 everyday with rare exception. This is the first elevation – so I am considering waiting 6 months to let the thyroid stabilize and re-checking. I will ask both my internist and endo, too. There is just not much heart risk in my famly history but my granddad did have type 1 diabetes. I am concerned about metabolic syndrome – though my weight is just 1/2 pound over normal BMI with a full bladder. My BP is great. I feel safe giving it a little more time – but will let my docs know. It is in the moderate risk range now – I am usually minimal to low risk so it bears a close eye. I will let you know how it goes. Cathy

cathycnm

Nancy – Just a quick follow-up. I called my PCP to ask about the cholesterol, LDL, HDL, etc. Left a message for her nurse (I know them all pretty well – small town and I am part of the medical community). Got a call back 15 minutes later saying I needed to see my PCP ASAP – I go Weds. Betcha I leave with an RX for this – I am very active and my diet, while not perfect, is pretty good. I rarely have red meat or fried food. Eat a fair # of fruits/veggies. Cheese is my biggest factor due to the osteoporosis, so I do get a couple servings a day but go with the low fat when I am home. So, while I could tweak it – this is definately primarily coming from someplace other than poor diet/exercise. My PCP is an internist – so I am in good hands. I will let you know!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.